Stay Interviews Equal Employee Retention
When you think of interviews, you probably think of job interviews. But interviewing your current employees could also be a beneficial practice for your company. Stay interviews give you powerful information that help improve the employee experience and help you hold onto your top performers.
Make it Conversational
Stay interviews help managers understand why employees stay and (most importantly) what might cause them to leave. An effective interview is when managers ask standard, structured questions in a casual conversational manner. Therefore, a stay interview is similar to an exit interview, but it’s done with active employees. For example, stay interviews allow employers to:
- Build trust between managers, team members and engage with employees to show their opinions are valued.
- Learn why employees want to continue working for the company, and why they might want to leave.
- Find out if there are any issues that should be resolved between the employee and any of their superiors or team members.
- Understand the employee’s stance on their current position and what they’d like to have changed.
- Determine what challenges employees appreciate and what motivates them to work toward the organization’s mission.
Be aware that they come with challenges, such as:
- Need to deal with any unpleasant truths that are uncovered (bad feelings toward a specific manager, an apathetic employee, etc.)
- Having to accept accountability for responding to any issues that arise, including those dealing with requests for pay increases or promotions.
Here’s a few questions to get you started:
- Do you feel your knowledge, skills, and experience are being fully utilized?
- What would make your job more satisfying to you?
- How do you like to be recognized for a job well done?
- How can you be better supported?
Work to build trust and show transparency with your employees and keep the interview around 30 minutes long. Express your gratitude and how you value their work. Be sure to have follow-up actions on items to be immediately addressed. Regardless of the reason for the termination or resignation, exit or stay interviews can be helpful.
Ready for a Stay Interview?
If your current company culture promotes and fosters trust and open communication, then you are ready to implement stay interviews. If your company lacks these qualities, spend time working on improving communication and trust first.
The Cardinal Culture – Delivering Jobs for 28 years!
Cardinal Staffing Services is a place where you can be inspired to reach the goal of your dreams. The Cardinal Culture is about empowerment. We offer staffing across an extensive range of industries including HR, manufacturing, logistics, automotive, administrative, accounting, IT engineering and much more. Our customers and candidates are treated with respect, dignity, and appreciation. Sometimes a person just needs to be heard. To listen to and to be given a chance. That’s what we do every day!
Let’s connect and talk! Contact us today!